Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Wagg Creek Park Weekly Sessions

Page 1 of 2Next

Come help remove invasives from Wagg Creek Park Mondays! During the month of May, sessions run 1:30-3PM. Specific locations change weekly due to weather and will be posted here.

Note there is no work session on the statutory holiday May 22, 2023.

May 17: Very short notice, but I will be going to the big rain garden along the green necklace at 21st St off Mahon Ave at 6:30PM to pull weeds out of the rain garden tonight (Wagg Creek Park). Anyone is welcome to join me.

To do list for May 29 1:30-3PM:

1. Cut bamboo shoots south of the 22nd St footbridge on the east bank

2. Continue blackberry removal along south end of daycare footpath.

-***Next Monday June 5th the time reverts back to 12:30Pm-2:30Pm***

Monday June 5: 12:30-2:30, We will maintain the Wagg rain garden area at 22nd St and Chesterfield. Let's keep the blackberry and bindweed away from plantings. Skunk cabbage and false liky of the valley are being shaded out by goutweed and we need to clear perimeters around them. We'll also quickly chop the bamboo canes that have resprouted on the west bank of 22nd St.

Monday June 12: 12:30PM Continuing on the "daycare" path just upstream of the 21st St (Green Necklace) footbridge.

Monday June 18th, 12:30PM: Same as last week - daycare path, working our way south. Meet on 21st St bridge where Green Necklace is!

Monday June 26, 12:30PM: Seek shade today, let's work at forested area just south of 21st bridge. Meet on bridge.

Monday July 3 - Cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

Monday July 3 further update: I cannot attend a work session for this date, however, if any of the "regular" crew would like to go work, please feel free. The forested area south of 21st St is now in good shape, thanks to an awesome session last week. However, blackberry work can continue on the "daycare path" south of the wooden barrier - if you are clipping blackberry, please check the trees for birds nest first. There is also a mat of ivy at the edge of the forested area where we were working (south of 21st Street, upstream of the split-rail fence).

I notice the bamboo at 22n d St both west and east banks are resprouting vigorously. I believe letting them expend energy leafing out and then doing a big cut in a week or so is a strategy we can try. So don't be too alarmed or discouraged! We'll tackle it soon.

Finally, the policemen's helmet pull on the east bank south of 22nd Street is going ahead on Tuesday July 4th.

Monday July 10th 12:30-2:30PM: Focus on removing/digging out resprouted blackberry on the area between 21st and 22nd bridges, where the Policemen's Helmet was. The City crew picked up ALL of the invasive piles!! Perhaps a couple people can clip the regrown bamboo? And let's spend 30 minutes at the end of the session making a makeshift "barriar" on the daycare path where we formerly cleared blackberry and now foot traffic is trampling the area!

Page 1 of 2Next

Join Our Next Meeting!

Wednesday, May 15, 2024
7:00-9:00 PM
Location: Mollie Nye House (basement), 940 Lynn Valley Rd, North Vancouver